Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Comforts from the Cross - Day 24

Safe in His Care

Then Jesus, knowing all that would happen to Him, came forward and said to them, "Whom do you seek." -John 18:4

Remember, the story of Adam and Eve in the Garden right after they sinned. The Bible says in Genesis 3 that they hid themselves. It was almost like the game we play now of hide-and-seek, except they were trying to hide from the God of the universe (not possible.) Much like Adam and Eve, we still like to hide. We try to hide from ourselves, from God, for uncomfortable situations, you name it; someone has probably tried to hide from it.

Today's reading needs more than just one verse, so start here in John 18:1-11. Verse 4 is the key verse for today, and shows that He came forward to His attackers. When Jesus presented Himself to these religious leaders and Judas, they drew back and fell to the ground. Then Jesus handed Himself over to these as the One who they were seeking and asked that the others be let go. Here we see our Good Shepherd. I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. (John 10:11) Why would He do such a thing for those who would deny and betray who He is? Love. Love was and always has been the motivation. We are unworthy, yet, the life of our Lord Jesus says, "Take me. Let them go." "This has been His theme throughout all eternity, 'Take me. Punish me. Let them go.'"

If I believed Jesus was who He says He is, would I hide from Him? In the Gospels, we see how He loved those who were His. Do you grasp the magnitude of what He did? "He interposed His precious blood between the righteous wrath of His Father and His sinful bride! What a Savior!" We do not need to follow the example of Adam and Eve and hide, but the Savior invites us to draw near.  As I have been considering the Good Shepherd and His care for His sheep, my mind quickly went to Colossians 1:17b, "in Him all things hold together." I can draw near to the Savior because of what He did and because of who He is. Today, I rejoice that God's Word reminds me that He holds all things together, He knows, we cannot hide from Him, and I can find comfort that I am safe with the Good Shepherd.

My family used to listen to Elisabeth Elliot on the radio when I was younger, she is one of my missionary heroes. She always ended her radio program with Deuteronomy 33:27, "The eternal God is your dwelling place, and underneath are the everlasting arms..." As believers, we serve a big God, bigger than you and I can imagine. Find your dwelling place in Him!

No comments: