Tuesday, September 06, 2011

30 for 31. God's Word.

 I haven't forgotten that I stopped last week with 29. I did turn 30 and not 29, but I promised 31, so on I go...

His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us to His own glory and excellence, 2 Peter 1:3.

I believe the truth of this verse, even when my actions fail to reflect my belief. God's work through His Word draws one to salvation. His divine power grants this beautiful salvation. He does not stop at salvation, but this verse offers the promise that He gives all things needed for life and godliness. Where does all things needed come from? A deep, intimate relationship with Him, which we find through His Word.

I fail so often to realize that God's Word is enough. Our society tries to teach independence. There is nothing wrong with learning to do things and do well, but by nature God made us dependent. A created being produces a dependent being. How easy it is to depend on other things, but the Word of God! Our independent Creator gave His dependent beings exactly what we need for life and godliness through His Word. Even though I often forget that God's Word is enough, it does not change the Word. Every time I come to it, I can clearly see how God's Word is "profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work." (2 Timothy 3:16-17). Want to get a better understanding of how good the Word of God truly is? Take a look at the short chapter of Psalm 19 or spend some time in Psalm 119.

I think I spent the last 10 years (or so) of life realizing the truth of 2 Peter 1:3.  My desire would be to spend my next 10+ years of life putting this truth into practice.

No comments: