Friday, January 06, 2012

A Challenge to Finish...

I love reflecting on the year past and making goals for the new year! It may have to do with my overwhelming desire to make lists and more lists. I've been thinking a lot about my reading habits and how they have quickly diminished since I finished my Master's Degree. Now, it is easier to play on Pintrest or watch Netflix instead of sitting down with a good book. I'm also the worst at starting a book and getting about halfway through and not finishing. I hate that. I do realize that some books are probably not worth the time, but a lot of of books out there are. My challenge to myself this upcoming year with my daily Bible reading and a stack of books is going to be to finish these things I start.

The Bible reading plan is not a set-in-stone plan, but just something that has worked for me in the past. I will read 1 chapter of Proverbs, 1 chapter of Psalms, and probably 2 Old Testament and 2 New Testament chapters. I have a check off thing as I go through the chapters, so I'm not too concerned about reading the books in a certain order or within a certain time frame. If I decide to spend some extra time in an Old Testament book, I'm good with that and want to have that freedom. I've also got two girls I'm studying with for discipleship things, so most of my indepth study on a passage will probably come from that.

Here's my book list for 2012. I have picked 11, my goal is 1 book a month. (I'm sure another book will come out in 2012 that I want to read). It doesn't seem like much, but I haven't started and finished 11 books in a long time. The list is not really in any particular order except I will be starting with the first one on the list. I have heard excellent reviews about it and want to read it!

1. The Meaning of Marriage - Tim & Kathy Keller
2. A Proverbs Drive Life - Selvaggio
3. Let Me Be Woman - Elizabeth Elliot
4. A God Entranced Vision of All Things - John Piper & Justin Taylor
5. A Praying Life - Paul Miller
6. A Chance to Die - Elizabeth Elliot
7. Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy - Metaxas
8. Screwtape Letters - C.S. Lewis
9. All of Grace - Charles Spurgeon
10. Faith on Trial - Martin Lloyd Jones
11. Heaven & Hell - Jonathan Edwards
12. TBD


The best thing is that I (or Adam) have all of these books. So, I am not purchasing any new books yet, but just reading ones that we have!

Update: I started this blog on 12/29/2011... It is now, January 6... Already I am failing at finishing things!!
Maybe I will share my New Year's Resolutions next, we shall see how well I follow through! :)

No comments: