Sunday, July 08, 2012

How's Married Life?

If Adam and I had a nickel for every time we have been asked, "How's Married Life?", we would have a lot of nickels... I think I probably get asked that question at least once a day, sometimes more often than that. As much as I want to give an answer that will catch people off guard (to be funny, of course.), most times I just reply with something like, "It is great" or "I really enjoy being married." While both of those are very true statements, it is hard to sum up the answer to that question in a short sentence or when someone wants to make small talk. (Truthfully, I am horrible at small talk.)

Adam and I are going through this Bible study called, "The Gospel-Centered Marriage." This study has been so good and at the same time very challenging. That's how I think marriage is! It is so good and so challenging. My favorite thought from the book (so far) has been this, "One of the great things about marriage is that God throws a fellow sinner into close proximity to us so that they walk all over our idols. So marriage is a God-given means of revealing and addressing our idolatrous desires." (p. 62). Since I get to live with a sinner, I'm thankful for the one God choose for me! At the same time God has used this short time to show the idolatrous desires of my heart.

A few years ago the Student Ministry I work with took a group to a conference concerning idols of the heart. Idolatry is not talked about to much in our culture, especially since we are not prone to make a statue and worship it. However, the idols are still there, they just take on different forms in a person that one idolizes, electronics, sports, or whatever it may be that captures your heart above Christ. Paul talked about this in 1 Thessalonians 1, "how you turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God..." One phrase that I wrote down during that time that still continues to challenge me is this, "Accepting Jesus is not just adding Jesus, it is subtracting the idols." That's how the Christian life is. Remembering that Jesus is the prize and the only One worthy of all of my worship and honor, anything that comes before Him is an idol. Married life has been much the same way, remembering that Jesus is the prize and the only One worthy of all my worship and honor while learning to put away my selfish desires and seeking the best for Adam, the one that God has entrusted to be my husband.

I love this song by Jimmy Needham, "Clear the Stage." The line that continues to convict my heart is this, "Anything I put before my God is an idol. Anything I want with all my heart is an idol." 



As a part of the bride of Christ, I pray that God continues to reveal the idolatrous desires of my heart and show me that He is the Great Treasure. So, "how's married life?" It is a gift from God. One of the best earthly gifts He can give. I pray that I am using the married life that He has given to me to make much of Christ. Marriage is His picture, His plan, for His glory.

No comments: