Sunday, September 24, 2006

Except for the people you meet

I was thinking of the old saying that goes something like this, "Five years from now, you will be the same person you are today, except for the books you read and the people you meet." I've meet quite a few people in my life and obviously some have impacted for the positive and others for the negative. I dated a guy for awhile a few years ago and our relationship ended badly. Sometimes, I would catch myself thinking, what was the point of this? I got a little insight into it the other day and needed to share.

Somewhere back in April 2003, I wrote down these words in a journal from Isaiah 42:16, "I will bring the blind by a way they did not know; I will lead them in paths they have not known, I will make the dakrness light before them, And crooked places straight. These things I will do for them, And not forsake them." This was the verse that God used to point my heart in the direction of full-time Christian service. God used this to soften me for the next best thing He desired to show me. I was blindly reaching out for something and God used this verse and this certain guy to show me what He desired in my life. This guy I was dating encouraged me to pursue ministry and 3 years later, I am amazed at the fact that God has chosen to use me.

Today, I am thankful for a failed relationship. Looking back, it is obvious that he the one that God had for me, but I am thankful for the time that we had together. If only for the simple fact that I can look today and see that God was doing something much bigger in my life. I'm so glad that we are different because of the people that God brings into our lives.

No comments: