Thursday, April 25, 2013

Pride-My Struggle.

Things have been a little crazy the past month or two and when I am able to think a little more clearly, I may blog about some things, until then... hang tight.

My past couple months have been filled with some different medical issues. In the process, I have seen how much I fear and worry over things that are completely out of my control. I have been reminded a few times that the opposite of faith is fear. That's statement has rung true over and over in my mind and heart. How often I have allowed fear to override my faith and what I know to be truth! During my times of fear, I would often look to Scripture. It has such great things to say and for a moment would seem to override my fear, but then my mind would wander back to being fearful. It has seemed like a constant back and forth battle. Thankfully, the Lord hasn't given up on me in my struggle and what the Scripture says about fear has captured my mind and continues to be a place where I turn to, even when I feel somewhat defeated.

1 Peter 5:7 has been mentioned and read so many times during this struggle, "casting all your anxieties on Him, because He cares for you." It is truly a great verse and one that provides so much comfort, but do you know what the verse before it says? "Humble yourselves, therefore, under the might hand of God so that at the proper time He may exalt you," For some reason last week, I decided to read my study Bible notes for these verses, "the participle 'casting' modifies the main verbal phrase 'humble yourselves' from v. 6. Worry is a form of pride because it involves taking concerns upon oneself instead of entrusting them to God. Believers can trust God because, as their Father, He cares for them." (ESV Study Bible). At that moment, I was aware of my ugly sin, pride, thinking I could handle it on my own. Why would I not entrust my cares and concerns to a perfect, sovereign Heavenly Father? In my own mind and strength I thought I could handle things on my own, surely not. My time of confession and repentance that morning was very sweet as I realized just how much I had struggled to do things on my own. There has been times of confession since then and I am sure they will continue. I do know that I don't want to live a life of pride.

Adam challenged me with this blog concerning the same subject about a month ago, and I have read it many times. Ed Welch is a counselor, but also one that deals anxiety attacks as well. His words of how to pray through Scripture is soooo practical. He ends the blog with this exhortation:
 The secret is to
   …pause before you head into your favorite passage on fear,
   …consider the greatness of God,
   …add some of your own confession and repentance as a way to drive the message of humility home, and then
   …remember some of those sweet words of God to fearful people.



No comments: