Saturday, January 18, 2014

One Resolution

I made one New Year's Resolution this year. Seriously, for those who know me, I normally have a long list of things I want to strive for in the coming year. I love the New Year and the "fresh start" it seems to bring. However, after looking back on New Year's Resolutions of the past and realizing that I fail miserably, I'm not making a long list of things.

Before I tell you my resolution, some background if you will. Over 2013, I think the Lord dealt with my heart and exposed some things that I had tried to cover up or maybe just not deal with. I love a good theological discussion or debate and appreciate those types of conversations that I can have with people, but I feel like I was lacking in a major area. I know a lot of Scripture verse thanks to a faithful Mom and Dad who taught them in our home and school, but I fail at putting them into practice. I was especially challenged by Paul David Tripp when I heard him speak in May about living for God's kingdom and not my own. It is safe to say that I spend a lot of time living and seeking after my own kingdom.

These thoughts, plus a few conversations with Adam, brought this New Year's resolution to the forefront of my mind. My desire is to put this simple verse into practice in my life, "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you." -Matthew 6:33. That is my desire and prayer for 2014 that I will spend my time seeking the Kingdom of God and His righteousness. Each day this plays out a little different, but my desire is for my "kingdom" to become nothing and God's Kingdom to become what I seek after and what I strive for other's to see. 

For your information, I have already failed at this many times this year and each time God has lovingly reminded me that I was seeking after my own kingdom instead of His. It has produced some ugly times of confession, but I am thankful for God's grace even as I struggle in this area. 

One resolution I have... to seek first God's Kingdom and His righteousness. I have great expectations that God is going to change many things in my life - desires, ambitions, plans, and so much more as I attempt to practice His Word. Thankful for grace when I fail and the strength He gives to persevere. May His Word become something you practice as well.

No comments: