Wednesday, July 23, 2014

6 Years Later...

On this day, 6 years ago, my precious Mom traded her cancer-ridden body for the joys of Heaven. I'm sure she would say it was the best day. As much as it hurt my heart, I'm thankful for this day. I have been thinking about her a lot as we are waiting on our little girl to arrive. Here is one of my thoughts/memories that has played over and over in my mind in the last few days.

Mom always read her Bible in the mornings on the couch. Often, you could wake up (if you got up early enough), and could find her there with her Bible, small devotional book, and blanket to cover her feet. From the time I was little, I would remember getting up, going to sit on the couch with her and covering my feet up with the blanket. Sometimes, I would just lay there and go back to sleep. Other times, I would ask her, "Whatcha reading, Mom?" She would finish her reading and begin to tell me about the chapter or passage of Scripture she had just finished. It was never like a formal thing or sermon, but more like this is what God's Word says and what I learned today or what I have learned in the past from this Scripture. One of her favorite verses was 1 Peter 3:15, "But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asks you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:" A song we sang growing up had these simple words, "Be ready to give an answer, know what you believe, write God's Word in your heart before you wear it on your sleeve..." Each day, Mom wrote God's Word on her heart and did not miss many opportunities to tell others about Jesus.

My prayer as we await the arrival of our precious KC is that she will be like me and ask, "Whatcha reading, Mom?" I hope that I will respond like my mom did and be able to tell her of the greatness of Jesus, what He did, and how His Word tells us these things and even more about Him. Today, I'm thankful that Mom told and continued to tell me. 

Miss her much, but always thankful for our promise of Heaven.

No comments: