Thursday, April 09, 2015

Asking forgiveness from an 8 month old

I read this week about how God is so different from us... you are probably thinking duh, He is God. Very true, but I was reading how he is slow to anger and patient with us. A week or two ago, I had a bad night Wednesday night into Thursday morning with KC. She was awake at 12am, 1am, and 2am. Somewhere in that time, I got frustrated. I was so rude to her in my words and actions. I know lack of sleep will make you do that, but I don't want that to be an excuse. She was just hungry. The day before I had read these words from Psalm 145:8, "The LORD is gracious and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love." There are other passages in Scripture that say the same thing. The character of God is so different than how you and I naturally respond.
I woke up on Thursday morning convicted of how I had acted and felt towards my little girl. I was quick to get angry, she was just being a baby and was hungry. Babies have rough nights and are awake at strange hours. So, when she woke up from her morning nap, I sat down in front of her and asked for forgiveness from my 8 month old. Because babies are awesome and don't really understand what it means to hold a grudge, she put out her hand and smiled at me. I kissed her hand like usual and she laughed. We went on about our day, and I was reminded once again of my sinfulness, need for grace and forgivness, even from a baby.
So, I stand thankful that God is slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love, even when I am not. I have to work at being slow to anger and showing love when it is His character and how He acts and responds according to the truth of His word. I'm thankful that He uses a sweet baby in my life to remind me of my need for grace and to show that He desires to work in my life to make me more like Him. 

One of my favorite pictures from recent days - she loves unfolding laundry.

No comments: