Sunday, January 09, 2011

Comforts from the Cross - Day 1

I bought a new book called Comforts from the Cross by Elyse M. Fitzpatrick. The book's subtitle is Celebrating the Gospel One Day at a Time.  I wasn't exactly sure what I was getting into when I started reading, but decided maybe to blog through the book.  It is a really a 30 devo-type book. I haven't used something like this in a long time, but I like what I am reading so wanted to share.

Day 1 - Celebrate Jesus
As often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until He comes. 1 Corinthians 11:26

She talks about celebrating communion in the church to remember Jesus. I agree wholeheartedly that I am grateful my church celebrates communion to help me remember as I often forget.  So for day 1, the admonition is to celebrate Jesus! How easy it is to speak about Jesus in random moments in everyday life, but to celebrate Jesus rarely happens in my life.  Elyse asks this question, "Does it seem as though the story of Christ's life, death, and resurrection are cherished truths yet disconnected from daily life?" It is so much easier to focus on my own issues and things in my world and completely forget who Jesus is and what He has done for my life. 

It is actually easier to focus on my Christianity than to think of Jesus. I was convicted by these words... "Today isn't about me at all. It's about Him: His sinless life, death, resurrection, ascension, and reign and the sure promise of His return. It's the gravity of His life that should attract my thought toward Him." Elyse's admonition for my self-centered Christianity would be to preach the Gospel to myself today and every day! I need to celebrate the Gospel! We need to celebrate the Gospel! "He died for your sin, He is ruling sovereignly over every facet of your life, and soon He will return to right every wrong and relieve you of your trouble."

For the next 30 days and beyond, my prayer is that I will learn to celebrate Jesus and the Gospel in my life. He who gave me His righteousness is most worthy to be celebrated!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing this Shawna!