Saturday, January 22, 2011

Comforts from the Cross - Day 14

Glory to God Alone 

I am the LORD; that is my name; my glory I give to no other, nor my praise to carved idols.  -Isaiah 42:8

Do you know the Heavenly Father's purpose for your life? It is actually the purpose for the world - to glorify the Son. Colossians 1:18 says "...in everything, He might be preeminent." The Father uses those of us on earth to accomplish His purpose. One of the best ways we do this is when "delight in the fact that salvation is completely of the Lord, and not at all of us. Our inability to save ourselves and our utter dependence upon His grace and power exalt Him rather than us."

As I read through this book and think about the truths of God's Word, I am seeing some things that I once believed to be true about me, are not really about me at all. Elyse brings this verse in a different light, "Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance." (Luke 15:7). This verse is often used when someone accepts Christ to express the joy that takes place in Heaven. Now, I can imagine that Heaven is a place of rejoicing, I would even venture to say it is continual rejoicing. I am sure Heaven rejoices when sinners repent. That was the verse says.  However, I love the deeper truth that she pointed out, "every time one sinner repents, more praise and glory is brought to the Son. The King is being loved and glorified, and in that they rejoice."

Why have in the past I wanted to make Luke 15:7 be all about me? Whether I want to admit it or not, we are all what Paul Trip often refers to as "glory robbers." "We want a little of Christ's glory for ourselves. Jesus Christ is willing to share His righteousness with you, to impute to your record His perfect obedience. But His glory He will not share with anyone." When I attempt to rob Christ of the glory He and He only deserves, I am devaluing "His perfect work on the cross." 

How do we change our glory robbing hearts into one that worships God and God alone? Humility is the answer. Humility that comes from the Holy Spirit working in our lives. He is the One who humbles our hearts and gives us the desire to worship the Only One who is worthy to be praised. Today would be great day to begin practicing for the worship of Heaven. Revelation 7:12 tells of some of the words that will be said, "Salvation belongs to our God who sits on the throne and to the Lamb!"  It's all His! "His salvation is a great salvation, and He deserves to be greatly worshiped."

No comments: