Saturday, November 17, 2012

Thankful.

For the past few years, I have tried to pick 2 or 3 things that I am thankful for and dwell on them or remind myself of them as Thanksgiving approaches. I thought it would be appropriate to share them with my blog friends.

  • Big surprise here: The gift of marriage. For the past few days, I have been reflecting on my life before marriage and how I would often hear that marriage is a gift from God. It almost sounds like a "Duh" kind of statement. However, I think once you are married, you see from the inside how God blesses with this wonderful gift. Marriage to Adam is not something I ever expected or even planned, but I can recognize that it is a precious gift from God. It amazes me how the Lord's sovereignty places people together. Marriage is for His glory and truly a blessing from Him.  
*For my friends who are single, marriage is not the ultimate gift from God, salvation is. I believe that God blesses with good gifts, no matter single or married. He knows His children and knows how to give good gifts!

  • For about as long as I can remember, my dad has picked a verse of the year to meditate on. Following his example, I picked two different ones for this year, but this one has been my primary meditation. "I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." (Galatians 2:20 ESV) I am thankful for the truth of this verse, that the old nature has been crucified with Christ and He dwells within me. I am thankful for the life I can live by faith. And I am thankful for the Son of God, who loved enough to give Himself for me. I try hard to grasp the magnitude of what Christ has done for me and fall so short, but I am extremely thankful that I do not have to live life apart from Christ. 
 
  • I think of grace and mercy that I experience each day from God and from others as I have days when I struggle along or my attitude gets in the way of doing what God desires for me. These verses have been brought to mind so much this year,    
              The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases;
                   His mercies never come to an end;
              they are new every morning;
                   great is your faithfulness.
              “The LORD is my portion,” says my soul,
                  “therefore I will hope in Him.”

                (Lamentations 3:22-24 ESV)
          
I love this about the Lord! New mercies and His faithfulness for each and every day. My prayer is that I will continue to see Him as my portion and hope only in Him!  

Happy Thanksgiving (a few days early.) 

No comments: