Monday, August 15, 2011

12 for 31. Legacy of Faithful Marriages.

So many good things happen in August. Today is my Aunt Bonnie and Uncle Jerry's 46th anniversary. As they were sweet to inform me this past weekend, they were children when they got married. Well, maybe not children, but young. It prompted thoughts about the extended family that God has blessed me with. Before my Grandpa went to Heaven, him and Grandma had celebrated 67 years of marriage together. My mom and dad made it to 40 years. My dad's sisters have all celebrated more than 40 years of marriage with their spouses. This is one of those blessings, that I often miss as I go about my everyday life. In a world of divorce and broken relationships, I am grateful for their example that love can last a lifetime. Dietrich Bonhoeffer wrote to a young bride and groom once, "...it is not your love that sustains the marriage, but from now on, the marriage that sustains your love." For each aunt and uncle, I have heard stories of how life has been rough, but have also seen their faithfulness to one another during the good times and the bad.  I have seen sacrifices and promises kept between them and how God has strengthened their relationships. Looking at them now, it is fun to see that not only are they husband and wife, but great friends! Today, I am thankful for the legacy of faithful marriages God has given in my family! Thank you for your sweet example to my cousins, my brothers, and myself! You are loved and admired! 

"Then the LORD God said, "It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him." -Genesis 2:18

No comments: