Friday, August 05, 2011

5 for 31 - Work.

I'm a little late on the blog thing today because of this thing I do each day called Work. The past few days have been kinda crazy, but I love what I do, so I just go with it (sometimes). I decided maybe I should blog about work, not my specific job in general, but more of like how work has effected my almost 30 years of life. I can now say that I have worked for more than half my life. Crazy. My first job started the summer I was 14 - I babysit a little girl named Emily. It was a real deal job from 8-5, Monday-Friday. I don't have a clue how much money I made, but I am thankful for the experience.  From the end of that summer, I transitioned to a cool part-time office job. I worked that throughout High School. It was definitely a great job for a student. Like most, I have worked in many different areas - I did my time in retail sales and had a banking job, plus a few other random things. Last night, I was waiting and contemplating what I have learned from my years of work.

My parents taught me to work hard. Little did I know at the time that this a Biblical truth, "Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men," (Colossians 3:23). I remember being taught truths from the "work ethic" of the ant in Proverbs as opposed to the sluggard. These are good truths, but maybe the bigger question for me would be, "What truth has the Lord shown me about Himself because of work?"

What I have learned most from work is that the Lord provides. My job would be the first aspect that is a gift from the Lord and the ability to do the task set before me. Because of the provision of a job, my needs are met and most of my wants. My family was never wealthy, but I can never recall a time where our needs were not met. This has still been true even in my adult years. Because of the Lord providing work, the Lord has been faithful to provide for what I needed. Luke 12:22-31 is always a good reminder that the Lord is our provider. He knows what we need, including a job.

Today, I am thankful for work, whether it is a past or present job. Over and over again, He has shown Himself to be the faithful Provider.

No comments: