Thursday, August 25, 2011

23 for 31. Discipleship (Titus 2).

I have quite a few of those moments where I think, "Why do you want to use me God?" I know He doesn't need me, He is God. Yet, in my weakness, He grants opportunities for me to serve Him in ways that I did not see and was not prepared for the work He was going to do.

If you asked me, if I had ever been discipled, I would attribute that to my Mom and Dad. The Word of God was predominant in our home, school life, and of course, church. They gave me a great love for the Word and an encouraged my God-given desire for the things of the Lord. Also, they answered lots of questions. Dad still answers lots of questions about God's Word and the application of it. I am thankful for that.

If you asked if I would ever disciple someone, I would have told you that was for the retired ladies in the church. How wrong and naive, I was to think that! God put a middle school girl in my life who wanted some attention and in the process, used her to help me understand that God calls all believers to discipleship. It is something we call, the Great Commission, "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations..." (Matthew 28:19) God used my years with her to help me grow in relationship with Him as we experienced life together. Seven or so years later, I consider her a sweet sister and always enjoy the opportunity to talk about the Word together and the work that God is doing in our lives.


I'm thankful that God did not stop with one girl, but continues to put people into my life. I would not consider myself an "older woman," although 30 seems like it some days. Titus 2 reminds me that God desires to use women in this area to teach other women, "Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good, and so train the young women..."(Titus 2:3-4a) My desire is to be obedient God's Word and hopefully teach others to be obedient to God's Word as well. Even though our efforts fall short each day, I am thankful that He uses people for discipleship. I had no idea of the truths from God's Word that I would learn as I desired to teach others, and am so thankful that discipleship is a growing process. "And I am sure of this, that He who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ." (Philippians 1:6)

No comments: