Wednesday, August 10, 2011

8 for 31 - Old Friends.

Today, my friend Micah turns 30. Happy Birthday dear friend!! Micah is 6 days older than me. Our moms met when we were still in womb. Micah's family lived down the street from me. I think we were friends before we knew what friends were, then we when figured it out we became inseparable. Before we went to school, we spent all day playing at each others houses. If one of our parents had to leave we just went to the other person's house. Micah's house had the best toys and my mom always had homeade snacks, so we had the best of all worlds. We went to different preschools and eventually different schools, but as soon as we got home for the day, I was off to find Micah or wait for her bus to come home! I don't remember a lot of fights, although I am sure we had our moments. I'm so thankful to call her my lifelong friend. (I wish I had a good picture of us, but most of them are a bit embarrassing.)

God blessed me with a church friend in the nursery who continues to be my friend today! Kimberly and I met somewhere in our first couple months of life. As we grew up, we had the best slumber parties at her house and watched the movie, "It's a Mad, Mad World" more times than we could count. Her parents and my parents were very close friends, so Kim and I had many opportunities to hang out. We have great memories and can look back as having survived the "Independent Baptist years" together. She turned 30 a few months ago and it was my joy to be able to celebrate with her, even if she wasn't crazy about the surprise party!

Although I did not meet her when I was a baby, Misty became my friend somewhere in elementary school. I think we disliked each other than becomes friends, then disliked each other again and then... Well, we were girls and you know how the friendship cycle goes. I still enjoy getting to hang out with her. We share a mutual love for El Acapulco in Jonesboro and will always laugh when we think about the fact that, "It's not a party unless there is cheese dip." (Good words of wisdom.)

God gave me a few Memphis friends that I would consider old friends. The first friend I had in Memphis was Danyel. We met in Accounting class. Why we decided to be Accounting majors, only God knows. Her family has loved me as one of their own and my parents were always pretty fond of her as well. They would always feed us poor college students. Danyel also decided that I should learn a choreographed dance for her wedding. I told her this white Baptist girl didn't dance. She thought I could learn. Hopefully, I didn't embarrass her too much on her special day. We definitely look back on that day and laugh, and she also knows that I don't/can't dance. She's the friend where you always pick up where you left off.

My old friends circle is complete with Amanda and Eric. They go together. I was their friend first and got shafted when they decided to date one another and eventually get married. A fantastic reason to get shafted! I'm not exactly sure when we became friends, well I kinda remember, but who needs to hear that. :) They've been around for a lot of stuff. I have had the joy of sharing life, church, and so much more with them. They have real good theology, so we get along well. Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend. (Proverbs 27:17) Their friendship is something that I truly treasure in my life.

When my mom passed away each one of these old friends showed up. It overwhelmed my heart and made me even more grateful to them. They are a gift from God. I am reminded that He gives all good things, including friendships! Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change. (James 1:17)

No comments: