Monday, August 01, 2011

30 for 30

Welcome to August. I'm turning 30 this month. I think my face frowns a bit when I say the word thirty. Whoever, invented our English number system, should have made 30 a different word so it doesn't sound so horrible when you say it. I know it is a derivative of three... Anyway, I digress.

In honor of this milestone in my life, I decided that the month of August would be for 30 reflections. Actually, it may have 31 since August has 31 days. I like odd numbers too. The reflections may be Biblical or random. I don't really have an order or system for these reflections, just things that have influenced or been important to me in the last 30 years!


Day 1 - Memorizing Scripture.

But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work. (2 Timothy 3:14-17)

God gave me really good parents. They thought that Scripture was to be held with the highest authority and that it was very important for their kids to memorize passages of it! I remember Scripture being made into songs to help us memorize them. My brothers and I went to a Christian school where we were required to memorize a passage of Scripture each month. It seemed like a tough task during some months, but looking back, it just took a little bit of time. If we memorized verses outside of school, there was normally a reward associated for memorizing. I was highly motivated with money, food, etc. I am thankful for the challenge I was given to memorize as now I continue to see more clearly the value of knowing and applying God's Word. I think often we take to lightly the value of Scripture and its importance for life. The Bible clearly talks about itself as being sufficient for all things. I have experienced firsthand the truth that is is "profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness..." Who knew a practice that I started as a little kid would provide and continue to provide one of the greatest benefits of my life - knowing the Word of God. I don't pretend to know it all or have it all memorized, but I'm still working on the truth of Psalm 119:11, "I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you."

No comments: