Tuesday, August 16, 2011

14 for 31. 1 Samuel 12:23-24

My little brother informed me that I was behind on my blogging. That's why God gave me Jim, to inform me of my inadequacies in life. More on him in the future.

Today is the actual day of my birth. 30 years ago on a Sunday afternoon, I made my entrance into the world. I think I have a funny birth story, but it is better to tell it in person. I was a late birthday present for my Dad. I'm thankful he didn't try to return me. :)

1 Samuel 12:23-24 seem to have become my birthday verses. Actually, they were Mom's verses for her kids. I can't find a card or letter she wrote to me without these verse. I wish I would have asked more about them when she was alive, but they are a bit self explanatory. "Moreover, as for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the Lord by ceasing to pray for you, and I will instruct you in the good and the right way. Only fear the Lord and serve Him faithfully with all your heart. For consider what great things He has done for you." Theses words were Samuel's final address to his beloved Israel. The past few birthdays have prompted me to look closer at these verses and if I am striving towards what Mom prayed for so many years.

I made a resolution in 2011 to try to study, learn, and practice the fear of the Lord more. The book of Proverbs says, "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is insight." (9:10) Understanding and practicing the fear of the Lord seems to be an everyday challenge in my life. Adam tries to tell me that as we grow as believers, we get a better understanding of the fear of the Lord and how to practice it, but it will always be an ongoing process here on this earth. I agree. It is easy to talk about fearing the Lord and harder to practice, but God gives what we need to practice truths from His Word, so thankful that I can learn from God's wisdom!

The next part of the verse talks about serving the Lord faithfully. This is also an ongoing process. I get the opportunity to learn faithfulness from the only One who can truly be called Faithful. He is Faithful; His Word is Faithful! Am I serving Him faithfully? I certainly hope so and I know by His grace He will sustain me until He calls me home.

"Consider what great things He has done for you." That's why I am writing these reflections - to consider. When I consider big things---Salvation, Life---it prompts consideration for lists and lists of little things or should I say great things He has done. At times my faith seems so small; I don't expect God to do great things, but He has and He has done them for me.

In the coming year, I hope to fear the Lord more, serve Him faithfully, and consider what He has done. I'm thankful today for Mom and Dad who gave me life, prayed, and taught me from the Word. Truly great things He has done!

No comments: