Saturday, August 20, 2011

18 for 31. Prayer.

Today has been a day of prayer and thinking. A lot of times I encounter believers who talk about not being consistent in their prayer life. As people, we talk a lot everyday, but fall short in talking to God. I don't want to be that person. I want to recognize that there is power when a believer prays and be expectant that God hears and answers. Prayer has had a major impact on my life in these ways:

1. People have prayed for me. For as long as I can remember, I knew that my parents and grandparents prayed for me. I'm sure there were many others as well. When I got to the age where I could grasp the truth that people prayed for me, I realized what a blessing it is that they cared enough to pray. I'm sure my parents and grandparents prayed for my salvation for a long time. When my Grandpa and Mom passed away, one of my first thoughts was that I would definitely miss knowing that they were praying for me. They were faithful in their prayers. Even now, I am humbled when random people come up to me and say, "I am praying for you." My only response is "Thank You." I love that others in my life are living out the truth to pray for one another. I like what James 5:16b says, "The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working." Amen and Amen.

2. I was taught how to pray. I know that sounds kinda prideful, like I am the perfect pray-er. That's not what I mean all, but my mom thought it was important that her daughter know how to pray. She taught me to talk and I'm glad she also taught me how to talk to God. Never should we be excused from prayer simply because we don't know how. Jesus was the perfect example and gave us a model in the Lord's Prayer, not necessarily to have to pray those specific words, but how to pray and what to pray for. I think it is an excellent example to follow especially when the words of Jesus serve as our teacher, "Now Jesus was praying in a certain place, and when he finished, one of his disciples said to him, “Lord, teach us to pray, as John taught his disciples.” And he said to them, “When you pray, say: “Father, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come..." (Luke 11:1-2)

3. My weakness is prayer is matched with the Holy Spirit's strength. Life is rough sometimes and there are always points where we don't know what to say to God on behalf of others or ourselves. The Bible says that doesn't matter, "Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words." (Romans 8:26) Often I have cried out to the Lord, not knowing what how to verbalize the brokenness of my heart. The Spirit knows and His work brings me great comfort and joy.

4. My anxious heart finds rest in God's sovereignty. Philippians 4:6-7, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

This list is definitely not exhaustive, but a small reminder of the power of prayer in my life. Thankful for a God who calls us to a relationship and opens the door for us to communicate with Him through prayer!

No comments: