Thursday, August 11, 2011

9 for 31 - Salvation Story.

"but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." -Romans 5:8

A testimony of salvation is such an amazing thing for so many reasons. It is the work that God does in an individual person's life. How He works on hearts so personally for so many baffles me. Another beautiful aspect is that the salvation story doesn't stop at conversion, but continues.

I was somewhere in the my 10th year of life when I repented of my sins and confessed Christ as my Savior and Lord. My church mainly used the Roman's Road plan for explaining the Gospel from Scripture. My mom was the one who truly helped me understand what it means to be saved and accept Christ as my personal Lord and Savior. I will not ever forget my Dad's excitement when I told him. I realized at that time, Godly parents pray for the salvation of their kids. I love that salvation is available for all and even a child can receive it. I love that our salvation is still taking place as we are sanctified more and more to be like Christ. I love the blessed hope that one day our salvation will be complete. 

I used to have a hard time with my testimony because I wasn't saved from anything crazy, or so I thought. Only when I took a closer look at Ephesians 2 did I begin to grasp the magnitude of the greatness of salvation. "And you were dead in the trespasses and sins in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience--" (Ephesians 2:1-2) It changes my perspective and thoughts on salvation when I think about being dead in sin. How horrible! Ephesians 2 contains more than 2 verses though.

But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved— (Ephesians 2:4-5) "Alive together with Christ" - I cannot think of anything greater than being able to make this claim. Alive because of Christ and His work on the cross! A testimony of the work of Christ is a big deal when I think that He brought me from death to life. The same is true for all those who have repented and placed their trust in Christ alone for salvation. Death to Life. Still amazes me. Still glory in God's Work.

Adam taught the students at church this song a year or two ago. It's an awesome picture of Salvation's Story, including Ephesians 2.

Made Us Alive. 
Written by Seth Jones, Michael Bleecker, Jeff Capps, Isaac Wimberley, and John Warren                                        

The weight of all of my shame            
Released when You came     
And gave up Your life
The freedom You give in Your grace                        
Chains broken replaced
With Your own life

We sing to the One who has made us alive      
We sing to the One who has made us alive

There on the cross He bore our sins 
And we became His righteousness                                                      
Now we stand here justified 
Now we live because He died 
 
Crucified with Christ, 
No longer we live, 
But Christ lives within
You’re crowned with many crowns, 
Our praises resound, 
To Jesus our King

He came to a broken world that was yearning for a Savior moaning for a rescue
We came dead in our sins, with our blinded eyes just hoping for a breakthrough
By His grace, He has shown us hope, He has shown us joy, He has given us life
And it’s only by the blood of the King that we sing 
We sing to the One Who has made us alive
We sing to the One Who has made us alive
We sing to the One Who has made us alive   
We sing, oh we sing

No comments: